Online Panel discussion in the context of the 2020 DAAD/IMLR
German Language Competition – Das Wort der Zukunft
• When and how are new words formed?
• How do new words get into dictionaries?
• What kind of usage information is crucial to establish
• How do lexicographers decide to take ‘old’ or obsolete
words out of dictionaries?
• How has the online format transformed dictionaries?
These and other questions will be addressed by Kathrin
Kunkel-Razum, Editor-in-Chief of the German publishing house DUDEN, and
Wendalyn Nichols, Publishing Manager at Cambridge University Press.
Introduced by Ralf Teepe (German Embassy London), the
discussion will be chaired by Rosie Goldsmith, Director of The European
Literature Network. It will be open to questions from the audience.
This event will be held online via Zoom. Guidelines [PDF] for participating in Zoom events can be found at
The deadline for entries to the 2020 DAAD/IMLR
German Language Competition – Das Wort der Zukunft isn’t until 8 January 2021!